Tuesday 19 July 2011

Thirteen: Bridesmaids

Possibly the WORST film I've seen this year.  I know we're only in July, but still.  My mother and I, her partner and my boyfriend (a double date I wouldn't have foreseen in a million years) were suckered in by the rave reviews.  Maybe I need to get with the times, but I completely failed to see the funny side of  a distressed woman in a wedding dress shitting in the middle of the street.  If the volume of hysterical guffawing was anything to go by, this for most of the cinema was the pinnacle of Bridesmaids' side-splitting comedy.    Kristen Wiig, the main character, failed to raise a laugh in our aisle - I thought her timing was poor and unconvincing and killed any possible humour in the badly-scripted plot.  Matt Lucas and the lady who played his (slightly special needs) sister did manage to amuse me slightly, but the brief screen time they were granted was hardly enough to carry the film.

In short, a disappointment. 

3 comments:

  1. Took my kids to Transformers 3 which was terrible! Which d'you reckon was worse? Review aren't good . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.radioclashblog.com/archives/2011/07/18/mark-kermode-reviews-transformers-3/

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, if Bridesmaids was anything to go by, you can't trust reviews. If by some dint of fate I do find myself at a screening of Transformers, I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete